Recovery of Early 19th Century Cockayne Farmhouse
Accomplished Through the 87 Club

 
 

At a celebratory reception held June 21, 2013 on the north lawn of the Cockayne farmhouse, a deed to the smaller 19th Century family home at 1105 Wheeling Avenue was presented to the City of Glen Dale, reuniting it to the Farmstead. A focal point of the reception was the burning of the mortgage by the benefactors of this phase of the project, Louis Khourey and Jon Turak.

Pictured- The Mortgage Burning - L-R, Jon Turak, Charlotte Khourey, Christopher and Shawn Turak.
Picture by Thomas Rouse - Frames And Furniture.com

 
 

On September 7, 2005, work on the replacement of the slate roof of the farmhouse was completed. Later that same month, Lisa Cockayne, sister-in-law to Sam Cockayne, passed away. Lisa lived in the smaller family home that was depicted in the 1877 print of the Cockayne Farm. The exact age of the smaller house is unknown; it is possible that the family lived in this house while the larger farmhouse was built in 1850. While at the time of Sam Cockayne’s death in 2001, the main farmhouse and its interior (fabrics, finishes, heating and electrical resources) had not changed since its restoration in the last decade of the 19th Century, the smaller house has been renovated several times over the years. The Marshall County Historical recognized not only the historical significance of the structure, but also its value in providing the necessary space to house offices and to plan its educational goals. But with the house now coming up for sale, how could it be acquired and preserved for the future? Mr. Khourey and Mr. Turak agreed to front a loan for the property, and the house was purchased on December 31, 2005. It was then immediately leased to the Society, which would be responsible for the insurance, loan interest and utilities. The house remained empty for two years, but in 2008, the community donated office furniture and equipment and the project hired Program Director Tom Tarowsky to begin educational and cultural programming. The smaller house has been the hub since for all activities related to the Farmstead. In 2010, the 87 Club initiative was launched as a means to pay off the principal and gain clear title to the smaller 19th Century house. The 87 Club was based on a simple premise:

To seek businesses, organizations or individuals each willing to donate $1,000 or more toward that goal

In 2011, a Cultural Facilities Capitol Resources Grant was awarded from the West Virginia Arts Commission to match all 87 Club donations. The mortgage was paid off in March, 2013. The mortgage burning represented an additional major accomplishment on behalf of the project. The Society is truly grateful for the 87 Club idea and for the 87 Club members who made this possible.


EIGHTY-SEVEN CLUB MEMBERS

Linda Cunningham Fluharty

David L. Aeberli

Roland C. and Janice Caldwell

American Electric Power

Phillip and Nila Chaddock

City of Glen Dale

Henry and Naomi Hupp

Louis and Charlotte Khourey

Sam and Josephine Kusic

Jonathan and Roselyn Turak

James and Jane Cockayne Weaver

The Grisell Family

Moundsville Daily Echo

Moundsville Economic Development Council

Dorothy Dakan Sedosky

John and Daniela Cockayne

Paree Insurance Centers

BB & T - Branch Banking & Trust

Joe Donahue

Mary Eliza Burgess Filter

Dr. and Mrs. Kenneth J. Allen

Christopher and Shawn Turak

Edward Michael and Julia Valerie Schafer

Marshall County Historical Society

International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local Union No. 141

Project Best

Upper Ohio Valley Building & Construction Trades Council

Main Street Bank

The Marshall County Commission

West Virginia Commission on the Arts